Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Broken manure spreader

Last weekend got off to a rough start. Friday morning a link on the manure spreader apron broke. I caught it right away and thought only one link was broke. I quick called Kris before I went to work and told her not to worry. I would pick up the new part after work and would have a little project for the weekend. Kris hates it when things break and to me it is the next big challenge. It hasn't always been that way, but as my skills have increased I tend to be more willing to tear something apart in order to save a buck. Not to mention it was pointed out to me the other day that when it comes to work I am territorial.

What ended up happening??? I drove out to Forest Grove Equipment on a snowy day to have Kris call me when I got there and say that after she got a better look at the spreader a couple more links where broke on the apron and that we should get a price on a new apron instead of buying the parts to fix the old apron. After getting the price the battle of wills started. Kris wanted to have Forest Grove put the new apron on and I wanted to put the apron on ourselves. We battled. Kris and I take turns of one being the realist and the other being the optimist. This time Kris was the smart one and I was the dare devil. Even though I new she was probably right pretty quick into our conversation, I gave her a good fight so that she didn't think I was scared of putting the new apron on. Yup a little territorial.

Kris new our time this week was better spent working on something else. Maybe she was already planing on moving hay to her sheds, like we did today. Or maybe she agreed with me that January and February are critical to getting the horses in condition, thus having a very good show season. Either way we put up hay this afternoon, then afterwards she left to get the spreader, while I got home in time to help Devin finish working horses and the week is off to a good start with working the horses.

We are holding our own this winter, the weather hasn't been that bad and besides a few minor hang ups we are doing great. I would dare say we are a month or two ahead from were we where last year at this time with the horses.

2 comments:

  1. Territorial, I like that explanation for the 'do it my way' kind of attitude we all get sometimes. It promotes compromise instead of defensiveness...another example of the brilliant wisdom of farm life! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second mom. There is SUCH wisdom in farm life. You pull that wisdom out better than anyone ever has, in my opinion.

    Love ya,
    sis

    ReplyDelete