Sunday, August 29, 2010

Home

Last winter when my parents moved out of our family home, I stopped by on last time on a sunday morning to pick up something I forgot. As I was driving away feeling a little senimental, I made the left turn onto 32nd st and started thinking about the barn and what I had to do that day. Then quickly realized the brick house on 34th st was not my home and hadn't been for a long time.

So what is home? Home is the place you long for when your tired, dirty and your ass is dragging. For me it is snow covered pastures on Christmas day, ice leaving the pond and knowing spring has started, the smell of hay just put up in the barn in the heat of the summer, the first smell of horses as I walk through the barn after returing home from a hunting trip in the fall.

I say this because the last month or so I had been pushing pretty hard, add in the some changes this summer, new job, Brothers divorce, Sister in town from over seas, Terry being sick. What I needed was some space and to be home and this weekend I got it. The girls were at a horse show and I was able to spend Sat/Sun in the barn alone, except for Sat afternoon when I ran a load of shavings. I took the advice of my Natural dad when I was a Kid. "turn that dam music down and pay attention." I didn't use my MP3 player or turn on the radio in the barn. No. I  just went out and worked and learned a lot. I was able to hear the sounds of birds churping, horses eating. I saw the sun bounce off the pastures, noticed the sounds of horses walking. I stayed off the internet and the ph rang a whole 3 times this weekend and none on Sunday.

O, I was able to watch some N.F.L pre season football and enjoy some pizza rolls as well. So, not matter where your home is. Here's to it.

1 comment: