Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Life

What do I write about?? things have been a blur lately. It seems like every night I am working late. Last week I didn't make it in before 10:00 on all of the nights except one.

The subject of not having a life has come up a couple of times in the past week. Kris and I joked about it a couple of Sundays ago and then I heard it from someone the other day. So you sit back and ponder. Trust me you do get tired and at times you forget why you are doing what you are doing.

So here is a attempt to give you a glimps of wha it is all about. Last winter on a snowy, stormy night. I loaded up the shavings truck in Zeeland and headed for Pullman about an hour south of Zeeland for a shaving delivery. When I got to Eddie's place I was late and tired and Eddie let me know how late I was. Eddie is and gentlman in his seventies who is a horse trainer and sulky horse owner. Eddie lives on a horse faciltie that he has own for fifty years where he trains horses and bitches about being old. I have always enjoyed listening to Edie as I dump the shavings, he has some stories about horses.

On that night, Edie inveted me into the lounge in the barn. I sat there looking at all the former geat winners and prizes on the walls. As Edie wrote out the check for the shavings he contiued on his thoughts of horses and the modern feee world that we live in. I stayed a good hour there sipping cofee and listening to him. Over time if I have a problem horse at home, I ask eddie what his thoughts are. The snow was coimng down and I new I should get on the road. As I was heading for the door, Eddie mentioned to me to be carefull going home and with a scowell on his face told me to next time not be late, then cracked a smile and waved good by.

I littlery used the rumble strips on M40 to make my way home that night. All because I couldn't resist the oppurtinty to listen to an old horseman. It is people like Eddie that make life worth living for us younger guys, but I would datr say that it is the youngsters coming around that make it worth living for the old guys. And it is in those moments that I realize what kind of "life" I have.

1 comment:

  1. This painted such a perfect picture for me of a line I heard somewhere, that life is what happens to you while your busy doing something else. I have always understood that to mean that being in relationship with God and others is what gives our busyness meaning and purpose. I'm so glad you made it home safely that night! XO

    ReplyDelete