Thursday, November 4, 2010

Want too feed something

This post is about a good friend of mine and his 4 year old son and moving on from tragedy

8 years ago when I moved onto the farm I met Al and Chris who's houses where near the farm and we would later coin ourselves as the three amingos. Al and Chris where ten years older then me. Al married and with two kids and Chris who planned to Marry Missy. Then me, the snott nose kid with the big truck and the attitude that went with working construction. Chris was the brains and Al had the drive for work and zest for life, together we in Al's words "built some shit." Looking back those three years where a amazing time full of hard work heavy conversation about life and barly pops. Because in June of 05 we lost Al to a boating accident and the three of us and those around the farm would no longer be the same.

Chris was the one who called me about Al's accident. It was Chris and I who told neighbor Bob about the accident. Right away Chris and I started hanging out and helping each other more and having those deeper conversations while forming a brother like bond, that would take us through making sure Al's widow and kids where o.k. to my own career path strugles and to the birth of Chris's first son Jacob Allan in Oct of 06.

I remember Chris and I during the summer of 06 on Friday nights, with beer in hand, standing in his garage talking about his future son. How he was going to be tough, no candy ass, love cars and how we where going to show him all these cool things when he got older. The first time I saw Jake he was laying on the counter in a blakect and Chris leans down to him and says "this is the kodman, get to know him, he is going to be around for a while."

Times have changed. Jacob has a almost year old brother and it keeps Chris and Missy prety bussy, which makes garage time harder to come by. I have taken on personal and proffesional challlenges which makes being around tougher. Like all the kids coming up. I have never forced the horses or the barn on them, just vowed to give them the chance to reject it. If they don't like it, that is o.k. with me, at least they had the oppurtunity. Jake has supprised me how much he wants to be at the barn and how into the animals that he is.  Last Sunday I was finishing up dragging the indoor areana and I noticed this little four year old pop his head around the corner. It was Jake, he ran up to the tractor and we spun a few laps around the indoor areana. Then when we put the tractor up, Jake said " I want to feed something." Then we went and fed the swaans and the cats. The third amego.

It was great to see Chris, Jake and Collen and it made slow up enough to enjoy life. Honestly something I wasn't sure five years ago I would be able to do again. Jake wasn't just feeding animales that Sunday, he was letting me know how simple life is.  We did it!!! We have moved on and we are doing pretty dam good. 

1 comment:

  1. You are a GREAT role model, Kod. I pray that you will have sons of your own some day; those will be well-loved sons indeed.

    Sis

    ReplyDelete