Friday, July 22, 2011

Everything Heals

Two weeks ago I was helping Kris load a horse for a local horse show. The process wasn't going very good at all. Then in one fatefull blast of horse energy the mare raised her upperbody and lunged forward, slaming herself into the side of the horse trailer... I was behind her, but recognized the sound her body and horse trailer made at the collision. I jumped to the front of her looking for blood as Kris gained control of her, saying "now you idiot." I then took of my sweatshirt as I was heading back to the barn and began getting the wash rack ready, Kris followed with the horse. Yup, she opend herself up with a 8 inch gash running at a 45 degree angle across her left shoulder.

So, as most normal people where enjoying there Sat morning coffee, we where waiting on the vet. When Dr Ray showed up a half hour later. He looked at the mare and said. "the good news is everything heals." Dr Ray did a wonderfull job of stitching her up and the mare is doing very well. Then less than a week later I had to remind myself of those insightfull words Dr Ray said.

The following Friday morning I was heading back from a meeting from a potential employer when the ph rang. It was Kris, she was in a jam. At that point I was tired with a lot on my mind and was out of gas. I just couldn't "jump" for Kris like I have done so many times before. But instead of filling her in, I just snapped back and pissed Kris off. I new I had instanly and went back to the barn, realizing I had just runied the whole weekend. The good news was my family and extended family was on Drummond Island camping at that very moment. So, I begged one last time for help for the weekend chores, called Mom and told her I was coming, changed the oil fillter on the pickup, sent a text to Kris that I was leaving for the weekend. Then asked Devin to walk me to my pickup. I told her I needed to get away and that I needed to clear my head.

Yea, without going into the details that was about as bad of a break down between Kris and I that we have ever had. Things are changing at Pine Manor and anger is a secondary emotion. And everything heals.

Drummond Island???? A blast. ATV trail riding, laughing with the family, a stop in Mackanaw City on my way home. A realization that I can't do seven days a week without a day off here and there. And o, yea, even though I drive for a living, getting on that highway with a mp3 full of country music, seeing the highway through the windsheild of a pickup truck and the hum of the black top as the wind wisles through the driversided window and rear slider window, well..... hell that's always a good time.

1 comment: